Monday, November 10, 2008

It's Never Too Late


Hello there,

On this blog I will concentrate on stories about romances of couples 50 and over. In my book I interviewed over 50 couples - how they met, about their courtship, and a little bit about their philosophy. In all cases, the couples were happy about their relationship. And I hear about new romances every day.

A dear friend of mine, M., was widowed in late June of this year. Her husband had been ill for quite a while and for over a year she didn't know if he would be alive in the morning when she woke. For several years they had gone with another couple to her class reunion which was in another town. It just so happened that in January of this year J. had lost his wife. Before M.'s husband died they had planned to go to a reunion together in August of this year. J. called M. and suggested that he pick her up and he would drive her to the reunion. She asked me what I thought. I said: GO. My partner and lover, Harry, and I even took M. out to my favorite shop, Chico's, so she could shop for a new outfit. They went and had a good time. After all she had known him since high school. And high school reunions, I might point out, are a great place to renew old friendships. There's an incredible story in my book of one such couple.

Anyway, J. started driving up from his home in another state to visit M. and she introduced him to many of our friends. He invited her to go to Florida with him where he has a condo. She asked me if I thought she should go. I replied: "If you were 20 or even 30 I would suggest you go slowly. But you are 80. GO." You see it can happen at any time.

It's never to late to find romance. I might add I have talked to M. since she went down to Florida and she's having a wonderful time. That doesn't mean she's forgotten her late husband of over 57 years, but she also realizes she must get on with her life.

Sometimes romance just happens. Sometimes it may take years. It was over 23 years after my husband died before I met Harry. Oh, I dated, but it just never worked out. I have many more stories to tell you and would like to hear about your experience.

In my book, most of the couples did decide to marry. However, over the years that I have written about romance after 50, marriage isn't always the answer to a relationship. In the 1980s, if a man or woman became single, he or she pretty much wanted to get married again. Then in the 1990s, the atmosphere changed. Women were discovering that they liked being single but loved having a relationship. In some cases there was still the view that couples should marry because of what their grandchildren might think. They didn't want to be a bad example. I do have one couple in my book who each live in houses near each other, share a cat, have dinner together, and travel together as well. She was in her 60s when they met, had a notable career and didn't want to marry although she thoroughly enjoyed the companionship. Times have changed even more in this new century. After all, who cares at this age.

You can read an excerpt from my book at my website: www.romanceafter50.com. Also I am writing about all aspects of romance in my other blog: theromancegame.blogspot.com. You might wish to check that one out, too. We're going to have some fun astrology tips on that one as well different cartoon by Harry. Check out his blog, too. (HarryBorgmanartblog.blogspot.com) .

Tune in for more stories. I look forward to hearing from you.

GB

No comments: