Friday, October 10, 2008

New Rules, Romance Gets Better


Perhaps there are new rules in that there are less rules about marriage, living together, dating, etc. Which is good as long as both parties view their relationship in the same way. This goes back to expectations which we all have regardless of age.

What is it that we want from a relationship? If we're from conventional backgrounds, we probably assume that a good relationship will gradually progress into a marriage relationship. But that's not always true of course. Recently I met a very successful artist now in her 80s who, I learned, lives with her lover three or four days out of seven which surprised me. I had assumed they were married, perhaps because they have white hair! I should know better. The young don't have a lock on a less conventional relationship. Obviously this is what works for them. In fact, I am finding such an unconventional relationship is becoming more of the norm. And it's OK.

In my book I interviewed another couple who dine together every night, travel together, and even share a cat, but choose to live just houses apart. In this case the man really wanted to get married; the woman not. This was their compromise.

Of course, you have to meet someone before you can decided what kind of a relationship you are going to have. I'll concentrate on how to find romance for awhile in the blogs to come. Please let me know what you think.

Look upon romance as an adventure, not as a need.

Gloria

No comments: